Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Addicted to Online Shopping, Trying to Recover

When you start to daydream about dresses you might buy, or even presents, you realize you may have a problem. I have gone to extremes in shopping online. In an effort to stop my shopping binges and regain control of my life, I have used the following instructions for some of my favorite shopping sites. The reason that it's not a problem for me to do this is that by now, mid-November, I'm almost completely done with my Christmas shopping.

  1. Click Start->Run
  2. Through the Browse, select "All Files" and open C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts using Notepad
  3. Locate the line 127.0.0.1 localhost
  4. To block the website spiegel.com for example, just add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:

    127.0.0.1 spiegel.com
    127.0.0.1 www.spiegel.com

    You can add as many sites any site, However you will need to prefix it with "127.0.0.1".
  5. Save the file. Spiegel will now be blocked in all web browsers.

No comments: